First and foremost, to be as clear as possible, any use of any content under a Creative Commons Non-Commercial license that is protected by fair use or any other limitation or exception of copyright law is permitted, even for commercial purposes. Creative Commons doesn’t change the law.
The definition of what is or is not commercial use under Creative Commons is flexible, but not as flexible as I would like. So, in addition to the regular terms of the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license, I will universally allow commercial use of my content for certain things through the CC+ protocol.
- Using any part of my content, modified or not, as the subject or a part of your own work hosted on a website that generates advertising, subscription, or sponsor revenue for you (including YouTube,) is always permitted, no matter who you are. Even if fair use might not apply to your work, (and even for any of my work under any other license!) I will allow this so long as you still provide proper attribution.
- For instance, any kind of YouTube video, podcasts or online radio shows, articles on your own ad-supported website, fanfiction on a platform that pays you through ads or subscriptions, it’s all permitted as long as you aren’t charging for or collecting royalties from the work itself, you provide attribution, and your platform is compatible with Creative Commons. In addition, for the specific case of YouTube videos, I will overlook the share-alike requirement for the sake of platform compatibility.
- If you are a private individual, hobbyist, or a solo freelancer, acting independently of any business other than your own, I will waive the non-commercial requirement for you. My content and anything you create based on it is yours to do with what you please – even sell, as a product or a commissioned work – provided you still use a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 compatible license.
- If you intend to use my content, modified or not, for any educational or academic purposes for some wild reason, or you’re a library, school, music store, or a registered nonprofit organization, I will waive the non-commercial requirement for you, but once again, provided you still use a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 compatible license.
- If you are a small independent team that intends to include some of my content, modified or not, as only a small, tertiary part of your own project, I will waive the non-commercial requirement entirely. You may use any CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 OR CC BY-SA 4.0 compatible license.
- If you’re Wikipedia or a similar wiki platform that intends to use limited excerpts of my content, modified or not, as part of any page, I will waive the non-commercial requirement entirely. You may use any CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 OR CC BY-SA 4.0 compatible license.
In addition, I have other content under CC BY-SA 4.0 and 3.0, which is incompatible with CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. If, for any reason, you want to include my BY-SA content with your own work that also includes my BY-NC-SA content, I will waive the share-alike requirement for the BY-SA work, effectively making them compatible, leaving you bound only to the BY-NC-SA license with the above additional permissions. I will also overlook the share-alike requirement for YouTube videos using my BY-SA content for the sake of platform compatibility, same as my BY-NC-SA content.
If you are still unsure of anything regarding these additional permissions, would like to ask for my direct permission to use my work just in case, are having issues with a web platform removing your work despite these permissions, or you’re interested in negotiating for an entirely different deal, contact me and we can talk. You can contact me on social media if you prefer that over email, that’s fine by me, links to my profiles are in the site navigation.
With that in mind, please do not use this form if you only want to share your work with me. Send that to me on social media and I’ll truly appreciate it, but this form is intended only for questions regarding permissions and licensing.