First and foremost, to be as clear as possible, any use of any content under a Creative Commons Non-Commercial license that is protected by fair use or any other limitation or exception of copyright law is permitted, even for commercial purposes.
The definition of what is or is not commercial use under Creative Commons is flexible, but not as flexible as I would like. So, in addition to the regular terms of the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license, I will universally allow commercial use of my content for certain things through the CC+ protocol.
- Using any part of my content, modified or not, as the subject or a part of your own work hosted on a website that generates advertising, subscription, or sponsor revenue for you (including YouTube,) is always permitted, no matter who you are. Even if fair use might not apply to your work, I will still allow this.
- For instance, any kind of YouTube video, articles on your own ad-supported website, fanfiction on a platform that pays you through ads or subscriptions, it’s all permitted as long as you aren’t charging for the work directly, and the platform you use is compatible with Creative Commons.
- If you are a private individual or a solo freelancer, acting independently of any business other than your own, I will waive the non-commercial requirement. My content and anything you create based on it is yours to do with what you please – even sell – provided you still use a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 compatible license.
- If you intend to use my content, modified or not, for any educational or academic purposes for some wild reason, I will waive the non-commercial requirement, but once again, provided you still use a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 compatible license.
- If you are a small indie team that intends to include some of my content, modified or not, as only a small, secondary part of your own project, I waive the non-commercial requirement entirely. You may use any CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 OR CC BY-SA 4.0 compatible license.
In addition, I have other content under CC BY-SA 4.0, which is incompatible with CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. If, for any reason, you want to include my BY-SA content with your own work that also includes my BY-NC-SA content, I will waive the share-alike requirement for the BY-SA work, effectively making them compatible, leaving you bound only to the BY-NC-SA license with the above additional permissions.
If you are still unsure of anything regarding these additional permissions, would like to ask for my direct permission to use my work just in case, are having issues with a web platform removing your work despite these permissions, or you’re interested in negotiating for an entirely different deal, contact me and we can talk. You can contact me on social media if you prefer that over email, that’s fine by me.
With that in mind, please do not use this form if you only want to share your work with me. Send that to me on social media and I’ll truly appreciate it, but this form is intended only for questions regarding permissions and licensing.